Article Featured on CDC.gov
As a family, you can plan and make decisions now that will protect you and your family during a COVID-19 outbreak.
Stay informed and in touch
- Get up-to-date information about local COVID-19 activity from public health officials
- Ask your neighbors what their plan includes.
- Create a list of local organizations you and your household can contact in case you need access to information, healthcare services, support, and resources.
- Create an emergency contact list including family, friends, neighbors, carpool drivers, healthcare providers, teachers, employers, the local public health department, and other community resources.
Prepare for possible illness
- Consider members of the household that may be at greater risk such as older adults and people with severe chronic illnesses.
- Choose a room in your house that can be used to separate sick household members from others.
Take everyday preventive steps
- Wash your hands frequently
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces
- Be prepared if your child’s school or childcare facility is temporarily dismissed or for potential changes at your workplace.
Related: How to Protect Yourself
Watch for symptoms
- Stay home and speak to your healthcare provider if you develop any of these symptoms:
- Fever or
- Cough or
- Shortness of breath
- If you develop emergency warning signs for COVID-19 get medical attention immediately
- Emergency warning signs include*:
- Trouble breathing
- Persistent pain or pressure in the chest
- New confusion or inability to arouse
- Bluish lips or face
*This list is not all inclusive. Please consult your medical provider for any other symptoms that are severe or concerning.
- Keep away from others who are sick
- Limit close contact with others as much as possible (about 6 feet)
If someone in your home is sick
- Continue to practice everyday preventive actions
- Keep the ill person in a separate room from others in the household
- If caring for a sick household member, follow recommended precautions and monitor your own health
- Keep surfaces disinfected
- Avoid sharing personal items
- If you become sick, stay in contact with others by phone or email
- Stay informed about the local outbreak situation
- Notify your work if your schedule needs to change
- Take care of the emotional health of your household members, including yourself
Those at higher risk of severe illness
Take additional precautions for those at higher risk, particularly older adults and those who have severe underlying health conditions.
- Consider staying at home and away from crowds
- Make sure you have access to several weeks of medications and supplies in case you need to stay home
- When you go out in public, keep away from others who are sick and limit close contact with others
- Practice good hand hygiene
- Notify your child’s school if your child becomes sick with COVID-19
- Keep track of school dismissals in your community
- Discourage children and teens from gathering in other public places
Orthopedic & Sports Medicine Center of Oregon is an award-winning, board-certified orthopedic group located in downtown Portland Oregon. We utilize both surgical and nonsurgical means to treat musculoskeletal trauma, spine diseases, sports injuries, degenerative diseases, infections, tumors and congenital disorders.
Our mission is to return our patients back to pain-free mobility and full strength as quickly and painlessly as possible using both surgical and non-surgical orthopedic procedures.
Our expert physicians provide leading-edge, comprehensive care in the diagnosis and treatment of orthopedic conditions, including total joint replacement and sports medicine. We apply the latest state-of-the-art techniques in order to return our patients to their active lifestyle.
If you’re looking for compassionate, expert orthopedic surgeons in Portland Oregon, contact OSM today.
1515 NW 18th Ave, 3rd Floor
Portland, OR 97209
8:00am – 4:30pm