We are currently open to treat urgent orthopedic needs. We also offer Telehealth appointments. If you have or any of your family members have experienced symptoms such as cough, fever of 100+ temp, tiredness and/ or difficulty breathing (in severe cases) or if you have traveled outside of the United States, to Seattle, New York or California in the recent 14 days please contact our office to change your appointment. Providence and Westside satellite clinics are temporarily closed. Our NW location remains open.
Specialty: Orthopedic Spine Surgery, Orthopedic Surgery
Dr. Nguyen is a board-certified orthopedic spine surgeon who earned her Bachelor of Arts in biology from University of Texas at Dallas and her medical degree from Texas Tech Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. She completed both orthopedic surgery residency and orthopedic spine surgery fellowship at Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Nguyen was a senior associate consultant and clinical associate at Mayo Clinic. She was also the Regional Vice Chairperson for Mayo Clinic’s Midwest Spine Care Network.
Dr. Nguyen has published numerous journal articles and co-authored a chapter in a spine surgery textbook. Dr. Nguyen specializes in degenerative spinal disorders, minimally-invasive spine surgery, spinal trauma and motion-preserving surgical techniques.
Orthopedic Surgery Resident, July 2009 – July 2013
American Board of Orthopaedic Surgery (ABOS)
Orthopaedic Surgery Board Certification 2018
Mayo Clinic Quality Academy
Mayo Clinic Quality Fellow: Bronze Level Certification 2014
North American Spine Society
2013 – Present
Oregon Medical Association
2013 – Present
American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons
2008 – Present
Providence Portland Medical Center Brain and Spine Institute
2016 – Present
Legacy Good Samaritan Hospital
2017 – Present
PEER REVIEWED ARTICLES
1. Church TS, Kuk JL, Ross R, Priest EL, Nguyen EC, Blair SN. Association of cardiorespiratory fitness, body mass index, and waist circumference to nonalcoholic fatty liver disease Gastroenterology. 2006; 130:2023-30.
2. Gill JB, Nguyen EC, Rosenstein AD. The use of tranexamic acid in revision total hip arthroplasty: a pilot study Current Orthopaedic Practice. 2009; 20(2):152-6.
3. Kottschade LA, Dronca RS, Grotz TE, Erickson LA, Salomao DR, Pulido JS, Baum CL, Wasif N, Jakub JW, Bagaria SP, Brewer JD, Miller RC, Kumar R, Kaur JS, Moran SL, Nguyen JT, Nguyen EC, Hand JL, Morita S, Swanson DL, Lowe V, Markovic SN. A multidisciplinary approach to the management of malignant melanoma: The Mayo Clinic practice Mayo Clinic Proceedings. 2013.
4. De Jong JP, Nguyen JT, Sonnema AJ, Nguyen EC, Amadio PC, Moran SL. The incidence of acute traumatic tendon injuries in the hand and wrist: a 10-year population-based study. Clinics in Orthopaedic Surgery. 2013. PMID: 24900902.
5. Nguyen JT, Bakri K, Nguyen EC, Johnson CH, Moran SL. Surgical management of subungual melanoma: mayo clinic experience of 124 cases. Ann Plast Surg. 2013 Oct; 71(4):346-54. PMID:24025653
6. De Jong JP, Nguyen JT, Sonnema AJ, Nguyen EC, Amadio PC, Moran SL. The incidence of acute traumatic tendon injuries in the hand and wrist: a 10-year population-based study. Clin Orthop Surg 2014 Jun; 6 (2):196-202 Epub 2014 May 16 PMID:24900902 PMCID:4040381 OI:10.4055/cios.2014.6.2.196
7. Kottschade LA, Grotz TE, Dronca RS, Salomao DR, Pulido JS, Wasif N, Jakub JW, Bagaria SP, Kumar R, Kaur JS, Morita SY, Moran SL, Nguyen JT, Nguyen EC, Hand JL, Erickson LA, Brewer JD, Baum CL, Miller RC, Swanson DL, Lowe V, Markovic SN. Rare presentations of primary melanoma and special populations: a systematic review. Am J Clin Oncol. 2014 Dec; 37(6):635-41. PMID:23563206 PMCID:4349521 DOI:10.1097/COC.0b013e3182868e82
8. Sebastian A, Currier BL, Kakar S, Nguyen E, Wagie A, Habermann E, Nassr A. Risk factors for venous thromboembolism following thoracolumbar surgery: Analysis of 43,777 patients from the ACS-NSQIP 2005- 2012. Global Spine Journal. 2016 Dec;6(8):738-743. Epub 2016 Feb 17. PMID 27853656.
9. Schroeder GD, Hilibrand AS, Arnold PM, Fish DE, Wang JC, Gum JL, Smith ZA, Hsu WK, Gokaslan ZL, Isaacs RE, Kanter AS, Mroz TE, Nassr A, Sasso RC, Fehlings MG, Buser Z, Bydon M, Cha PI, Chatterjee D, Gee EL, Lord EL, Mayer EN, McBride OJ, Nguyen EC, Roe A, Tortolani PJ, Stroh DA, Yanez MY, Riew KD. Epidural Hematoma Following Cervical Spine Surgery, Rare Complications of Cervical Spine Surgery “ACSC-Retro” Project. Global Spine Journal. 2017 Apr;7(1Suppl):120S-126S. Epub 2017 Apr 1. PMID 28451483.
10. Sebastian AS, Ahmed A, Vernon B, Nguyen EC, Aleem I, Clarke MJ, Currier BL, Anderson P, Bydon M, Nassr A. Effect of an Adjustable Hinged Operating Table on Lumbar Lordosis During Lumbar Surgery. Spine. 2018 Feb 15;43(4):302-306. PMID 28742758.
“Dr. Nguyen has changed my life. I can walk with no pain. The doctor treated me well and was easy to talk too. Everyone told me how lucky I was to have her as a surgeon. Three hospitals said that. You know what? Dr. Nguyen is the best. Everyone else was friendly and helpful and kind. I tell everyone Nguyen is my star. Thank you everyone! “
“My husband was treated by Dr. Emily Nguyen for his back. She was amazing! She got him in for imaging and physical therapy ASAP. She spent a lot of time going over his imaging and his diagnosis. We appreciated her caring nature!”
“Compliments to the entire process at Good Samaritan. From the moment I walked in the door the process was all thumbs up all the way around. Pre and postop everything was great, I was well prepared, the level of service and attitude was all fantastic. RNs, PAs, entire staff, postop everyone was great.
“Emily and Monica were great and inspired super-high confidence; their follow up and bedside manner was fantastic. The surgeon and surgical team made me feel comfortable and were very professional. Super happy with whole team for making people feel at ease–other hospitals could learn from you. The process was silky-smooth and I was well received, everything was great. You were good at facilitating transitions to SNF. It was a quite positive experience. The Anesthesiology team was great, super positive, professional attitude. Good Sam is wonderfully professional with a very positive attitude – when people are upbeat, patients feel more positive about everything.“